I solve problems through design… and try to make things pretty along the way.
I am the owner and creative director of Markon Brands, a communications and creative studio based in Vancouver, Washington. We specialize in helping small to medium businesses get online, get noticed and get their messaging on point.
Markon Brands was founded in 2012 after working my way up to the C-suite managing other people's companies for nearly a decade. Though rewarding in some ways, I felt I needed to stretch my entrepreneurial and creative muscles so I launched the unique plan to buy an old print shop and morph it into a design and marketing agency. My journey to building a branding studio from the remnants of a near-obsolete business proves that the road to success is rarely a straight line. We started by leveraging the changing needs of the diverse clientele of that going-out-of-business print shop and have since grown to help ambitious entrepreneurs across the country elevate their communications on social media, the web, and in the real world.
As Markon’s current creative director, I combine a lifelong love of design with a background in management, communications, and marketing, creating cohesive and compelling brands for clients with a distinctive multimedia approach. Being an entrepreneur with extensive management experience myself, I am well suited to work with both newly formed and established companies on brand identity and digital marketing projects. I may no longer be in the print business, but my long history of being a “maker” in an increasingly digital world sets my work apart.
This site is mostly a place for me to post and share my writings from various places across the web (though mostly Markon’s blog) along with press & media articles that I’ve been mentioned in. I’m not all work and no play, though, so in the future I’m thinking of adding sections to feature some of my other interests such as travel, cooking & general #girlboss empowerment type stuff. Thanks for visiting!
Education & Professional Development
MBA - Entrepreneurship & Small Business Operations
University of Phoenix’
BA - Communication & Political Science
Western Washington University
Certificate - Branding
HOW Design University
Trivia & Other Tidbits
- I’ve travelled to 25 countries on 3 different continents.
- I got married on a remote island off the coast of Belize.
- I once took an entire series of Anthony Bourdain cooking classes. It was as intensive as you can get without going to real cooking school.
- When I was a kid, I wanted to be an architect and would fill notebook after notebook up with floor plans that I drew. I had a subscription to Architectural Digest as a 10 year old.
- Because of this, I spent three years of high school in an immersive program where I learned CAD (computer aided design), technical and mechanical drawing.
- I was the only girl.
- I used to teach public speaking.
- Fall is my favorite season and I love any sort of Oktoberfest festival; the best one was obviously in Munich.
- Next on my travel list: Thailand, Australia & Bali!